Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Wonderful Poetry of Robert Frost

Robert Frost: Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

           I chose to blog this week about a very famous poem from Robert Frost called Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening.  Robert Frost was born on March 26. 1874 and died on January 29, 1963. He is most well known for his realistic depictions of rural life. I was lucky to find the picture book version of this poem. As I looked through the book, the pictures were created with amazing detail and expressed the words of Frost's poem perfectly. Although I had to read the poem more than once, it is very interesting to me and should be shared with children.  I was also happy to see that the picture book version allows children the chance to read this very adult like poem. The pictures really help to bring the poem to life and help children to envision what the speaker is doing in the poem. What I found particularly interesting was the pictures on each page were mostly in black and white, however, the speaker was highlighted with color. This helps to show the audience that the speaker is very important to the poem.
         The speaker in the poem is a traveler who uses a horse on one of the darkest nights of the year.  He admires the woods that are building up with snow. After admiring the woods, he remembers that he cannot stay long and has obligations to fulfill. For a moment in the woods he is able to get away from life's agenda.  In the woods he is able to escape from the craziness of life and admire the beauty of nature. I felt cery connected to this poem.  I find that when I rarely get the chance to stop and enjoy the beauty of nature, I can truly just relax and not think about anything else.  Sometimes life can be so busy and it becomes very hard to take advantage of the beauty that is all around us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment