Thursday, September 30, 2010

One of My Favorite Picture Books


             I found this week's blog to be particulary difficult because it was hard for me to choose a picture book. There are so many wonderful children's picture books that I absolutley love. When I go to Barnes and Noble I find myself going straight to the children's section and exploring all the great quality books. I usually leave with 2 or 3 at a time and continue to add to my collection. After searching through my collection, I decided to blog about The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. The book is about a caterpillar from birth to when it becomes a butterfly. The caterpillar becomes hungry and each day of the week; mon, tues, wed, etc, he eats a certain number of food items. He eventually becomes so full that he has a stomachache. After eating all that food, he becomes very fat and soon turns into a beautiful butterfly.
              The best part about this book is that as the Caterpillar eats throughout the story, there are actual wholes to show that the caterpillar has eaten. I love this book because of the colorful and tactile illustrations. The book is a good quality picture book because it contains the 3 R's (rhyme, rhythm, and repetition). The pictures all match the text and it also promotes interactive discussion in the classroom.
         I have used this picture book with my first grade class and it was very interactive. Thre children respond well to the story and are able to go along with the rythm and say what is going to happen next. It is a great resource in teaching several types of lessons. It could be used for science (when you are teaching about butterflies), for patterns, and also to teach the days of the week. The rhythm used in the story makes the book memorable and fun for children to read and listen to. The illustrations help the book come alive.
        I love this picture book because there is so much that it can be used for.  I remember reading this story as a child and it brought back a lot of memories. I hope that many of you enjoy reading this book as much as I did! It is definitely going to be used in my classroom library!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christina-

    This book is one of my favorites for lessons on teaching patterns. Eric Carle does such a nice job with pattern books that keep the children engaged. I have used The Very Hungry Caterpillar in preschool classrooms a number of times. Your right about the best part being the holes in the fruit, they are very helpful when counting! I enjoyed reading how you used this book in your own classroom. I like your idea about using this book for a science lesson on butterflies; I have to remember that in the future!

    Casey

    ReplyDelete